Tuesday, January 26, 2010

On flight to Santiago

I met up with some of the team in Miami and now we are on the way to Santiago, Dominican Republic for the night. We'll be arriving around 9:30 pm so we'll go straight to the hotel and then head to Haiti in the morning.

Aside from the medical/mission part of this trip, it's going to be interesting how I handle the change in tech use. Because of safety and access issues I did not bring my laptop. I did pick up international data plan so I can use my iPhone for email, twitter, and blogging. Sending SMS text is $.50 and MMS is $1.50, so I won't be doom those. The voice calls are $1.69/min but all of that will depend on access even. I'll just have go see what it's like.

As far as what to expect when I get to the orphanage, I still really have no idea. The children that Danita is bringing are to be arriving Thursday. I don't know what injuries we will be dealing with. Our team does have lots of bandages and dressings and antibiotics.

I spoke to a news anchorwoman in Fort Myers yesterday who had just returned from a 3 day trip to Haiti. She saw many people being treated for injuries for the first time 1-2 weeks after the event because they were not as severe. But due to the delay infection has become a major battle. I suspect that's going to be our battle, too. She said it was hot so be prepared for that. I brought gum and bubbles based on her recommendation to distract the kids during treatments. Hopefully they survived the transport (along with all my other stuff).

Thank you everyone for your donations and support and your prayers and encouragement. I am excited to be going out and know that God will amaze us.

Blessings,
E

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. That is awesome that you are going to Haiti in their time of need. I can't imagine what the people and kids are going through down there. Obviously God is using your gifts and talents to help those most in need. Keep us posted on your blog how things are going!! Stay safe!

    Debbie Carpenter

    ReplyDelete